Over the past few months, diversity, equity, and inclusion have come to the forefront locally. We’ve been saddened to see friends and neighbours in the 2SLGBTQ+ community face intolerance for simply being themselves. Our community needs to do better, and we want to help.
At United Way Perth-Huron, we believe in creating a brighter future for everyone. That is why we’ve committed to raising funds for the Stratford Pride Community Centre as part of this year’s annual campaign.
In 2022, we were proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with other great local organizations to help open the Pride Centre. Currently, we sit at 90% of our campaign goal and, with continued help from our community, we hope to reach our fundraising total so we can support core operations of the Centre.
Stratford is a great place to call home. But we can never assume there aren’t people struggling to be heard, understood, and welcomed by the larger community. That’s why it’s so critical for us to reach our goal and help ensure the place we live continues to evolve. Please join us in supporting the Stratford Pride Community Centre by making a donation today.
Did You Know…
- The Stratford Pride Community Centre is is a safe space for the Perth-Huron LGBTQ+ community to share social, educational and health-related issues, and is the only rural-based Pride centre located in southern Ontario.
- The acronym 2SLGBTQ+ stands for Two-Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (or questioning). The plus sign represents other sexual identities, such as pansexual or asexual.
- 2SLGBTQ+ youth are 14 times more likely to be at risk of suicide or substance use than their heterosexual peers.
- 77% of trans respondents in an Ontario survey had seriously considered suicide and 45% had attempted suicide.
- An Ontario study found that 20% of trans people had experienced physical or sexual assault due to their identity, and 34% were subjected to verbal threats and harassment.
- 2SLGBTQ+ individuals face higher rates of mental health challenges, and a lack of available services in our community causes further isolation.
*Information from Canadian Virtual Hospice, Canadian Mental Health Association Ontario, Rainbow Health Ontario, and the Stratford Pride Community Centre